Four Seasonal Rounds
for voices, percussion, jaw harp, hands and feet
Words and music by Ginger Reynolds
These pieces were written as a celebration of the seasons. The intention is to challenge children with rhythmic games, changes in time signatures, use of natural minor mode, 7/4 as meter, lots of percussion and an interesting word or two. Hopefully all are devices to interest and educate.
- Tingling, Zingling is meant to be an inclusive holiday treat
- March, Round is reminiscent of high-stepping African-American marching bands
- Summer in Aeolian honors the fascination with bugs, beetles and small creatures that are seen during the summer months
- Round O' Autumn is evocative of early ancestors celebrating the harvest around a bonfire.
Percussion as written is intrinsic to the performance: I'm hoping that there is an instrumental program when the rounds are taught in schools. I've been told that these parts are playable by a first year percussion student.
- Lanier Middle School Chorus, Fairfax, VA, conducted by D. Bradee.
- Unity Church Unitarian Children's Choir, St. Paul, MN
For more information or to purchase sheet music for "Four Seasonal Rounds",